Saturday, June 29, 2013

Stampington Blog Challenge: Short Story

Photo credit: Andrea C. Jenkins featured in Life Images 2008
Sitting in my hotel in San Antonio, I was perusing my favorite blogs.  On the Stampington blog, I found this short story challenge.  This photograph was one of two that you could choose to write a short story or poem about it.  This photograph above immediately struck me of the two.  It could have been me as a little girl.  Funny I even had to click back to see if her hair was brown like mine.  I thought for sure I saw that in the image.  This image permeated my thoughts as the days in June seem to streak by without conscious knowledge of it.  So as the day unfolded with Dora the Explorer playing in the background for my little girl, I began to write lines that were inspired by the photograph.  Here is the end result: 


Threads

Closing my eyes
Swirling colors of rainbow form
Necklaces made of candy collide
Treasured beaded bracelet circling the wrist
Swaying pigtails from side to side
Sunlight glittering on daises and dandelions
Whispered songs floating in the breeze
 
One little girl
Packing layered life sketches
Designed through imagination
Held and carried in flowered vintage petals
Encasing dreams in innocent joy
 
Years pass
Time ebbs and flows
Dreams kept packed on seas of change
Innocence slips and hearts break

Eyes flutter open
Old dreams tangled with wisdom
Still tangible in foggy light
Suitcase laid open and past floats
Binding the past with the present
Stitches recalled
Knots remembered
Moments sewn together
Weaving one life pattern.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my word, this is beautifully and skillfully crafted! You are truly gifted and need to incorporate this in your art journal and do it more often. Plus I could have cried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, I love what you wrote. It reminds me of myself, actually, when in my mid-20s I realized that I was not living the life I had imagined for myself. "Old dreams... suitcase laid open." There are many lines to love here. Good luck with the contest. You have my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the submission! You have beautiful prose. We're reading all the submissions over right now and we'll be following up with the winner soon.

    All the best,
    Bethany Michaels

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amber~ I'm speechless... You are truly talented! I agree 100% with your mom, start incorporating this into your art and travel journals. So beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amber~ I'm speechless... You are truly talented! I agree 100% with your mom, start incorporating this into your art and travel journals. So beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am speechless....This is beautiful and so full of wisdom...You really have talent. I look forward to seeing more from you....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw Stampington's post on Facebook...! Yippee and Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete